• Gustave Courbet - "Le Bord de Mer à Palavas" (1854)

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Mosaics

As many of you know, my wife and I like to make mosaics. So, I've been collecting some nice examples. I thought you might enjoy looking at them too. It'd be kind of fun to put one of these in our house someday - one of the simpler ones. Although it seems more common among the Romans than the Greeks, the Romans were in Greece long enough to leave plenty of mosaics lying around.

I'll continue to add mosaic pictures as I come across them.



From Corinth














From Corinth














From Corinth



















From Corinth (close up of previous)




















Baths in Isthmia













From the Olympic Games museum in Olympia: Victory crowning Eros.

1 comment:

Souza said...

Cool stuff, yo. Looks like fun.

About Me

My photo
ἐνὶ τοῖς γὰρ ἀείδομεν οἳ λιγὺν ἦχον τέττιγος, θόρυβον δ’ οὐκ ἐφίλησαν ὄνων "I sing to those who prefer the clear cicada sound, who do not like the braying of asses." Callimachus, Aeitia fr. 1 (Pfeiffer)