So, I was thinking of my need to project color onto all these brown sites, and I re-visited the Mycenaean exhibit in the National Museum this afternoon. There are fragments of several color frescoes I thought I would post. Some of these are reconstructions based on the fragments, but others are unaugmented. The display labels were not terribly helpful. Some of these came from Tiryns, others from Mycenae, but which from where I know not. If it's really important to any of you, leave a comment and I'll look them up (or give you a reference and have you look them up).
Enjoy.




This last one is not Mycenaean, but it's a good example of how Classical Greek sculpture could be painted. This is a funerary monument and to the right is a recreation of how it looked when it was finished. Close up, the paint is quite easy to see on the stone.
No comments:
Post a Comment