So, in addition to turning many of my paper files into electronic ones, I've been scanning lots of old photographs into jpegs. It's not like I'm getting a lot of enjoyment from them while they're sitting in a box in the closet.
Here are some photos from a trip to France that Jana and I took in 2003. Both of us really enjoy the art of Vincent Van Gogh, so we tried to find as many Van Gogh painting sites as we could while we were in Arles.
This is the Rhône river as it passes through Arles on its way to the Mediterranean.

This is Vincent's version:


Here's the famous café at night in the Place du Forum

[Can you find Jana?]

Here's a closer shot:

Les Alyscamps is a necropolis (cemetery) from Roman era, and sports a cool medieval church. Empty sarcophagi line the avenue.

One of these corpses was still fresh.

Vincent's Version:


This is the sanitorium where Vincent recovered after cutting off part of his ear.

[Again, can you find Jana?]

This old beat up mill is a lesser known of Vince's paintings:

I'm a little proud of this one. It's not an easy place to find. Only after knocking on every door in town will you stumble across this place.

You're supposed to be looking at the railroad bridge, not the sign for "Ed," an excellent discount grocery store named after my father.

Do you recognize the bridge?

You can see it again, at the far right.

Finally, we weren't there at the best time of year to replicate Vince's landscapes of Provence, but we did see a lot of beautiful countryside:




8 comments:
You should probably get paid to blog. That was very cool. Your 15 years or college have paid off. Seriously its like you are a different species. Who goes to the south of france and decides they want to get pictures of famous Vangoh paintings? I'm pissed that
A)that that I didn't do that and
B)I would never think of that in a million years
I guess my idea of sophistication is not scratching myself in public
This is such a cool post! I love seeing what the sights look like "for real".
Seriously, what a cool thing to do on a trip! I tried a similar thing in London--looking for Diagon Alley, platform 9 3/4, etc. But it didn't really work out for me.
That's f'ing amazing. One of the cooler blog posts I've seen.
That was a great trip baby!
Great stuff...man you have been busy!
Schnitz
Vincent van Gogh is my favorite artist of all time! Love him. What a great idea to find the sites from the paintings. When we were in Arles we only went to the famous cafe but that was before I fell in love with van Gogh. It also started dumping bunkets so we sprinted for the car before we really wanted to leave that awesome town.
Side note: The first book I bought Natalie was a children's book using van Gogh's painting as the artwork. She LOVES it (of course).
These are amazing! We need to travel with you guys so we can see all of the great European sights. Not to mention have someone who actually speaks the language. This is great.
So you define necropolis but not sarcophagi?
We're not all globetrotting polyglots, you effete intellectual élitist espèce de...
Post a Comment