• Gustave Courbet - "Le Bord de Mer à Palavas" (1854)

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Post-Minoan Crete

This is the beach at Matala. Wish everyone could have been here with me.




This is the harbor at Khania. The city was ruled by Venice for hundreds of years (about 1200 - 1650), so it looks very Italian.




This is me at the site of the Gortyn law code. It's the largest ancient Greek inscription ever found, and covers an entire wall - sorry I look so grumpy.




This is the grave of Nikos Kazantzakis, who wrote The Last Temptation of Christ (and several other works). He was excommunicated from the Greek Orthodox Church for writing The Last Temptation, and so could not be buried in consecrated ground. Hence, the city of Iraklion (where he was from) buried him on a hilltop overlooking the city. His (translated) epitaph reads,
"I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free."



If Jana and I don't return this August, you know where we'll be: our new house in Zakros. I was standing in the ocean as I took this.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
ἐνὶ τοῖς γὰρ ἀείδομεν οἳ λιγὺν ἦχον τέττιγος, θόρυβον δ’ οὐκ ἐφίλησαν ὄνων "I sing to those who prefer the clear cicada sound, who do not like the braying of asses." Callimachus, Aeitia fr. 1 (Pfeiffer)