• Gustave Courbet - "Le Bord de Mer à Palavas" (1854)

Friday, May 09, 2008

Grody Food Words

[As an introductory note, the word "grody" is in serious need of a comeback. It's too choice for us to allow it to be superseded by just "gross" or "disgusting." Grody takes revulsion to another level. As my sister Jen used to say, "grody to the maximum fluoride protection that toothpaste can give.]

So, there are a few words that people often use to describe food that I find really disgusting. Grody, even. Here's my list and why:

1. Meal

Just say the word out loud. Your mouth makes a horribly ugly motion as your cheeks spread wide to pronounce this word. When I hear it, I think of
meal-worms. So, say the word and feel your cheeks fill up with writhing little maggot-like worms. Just the image I want as I'm thinking about eating. Yum. Can we get together for a meal soon?

2. Decadent

This word almost always shows up somewhere on the dessert menu, usually with something chocolate. Now, I like chocolate a lot, which is why I don't really want it to be decadent. The word is derived from the Latin decadentia, which implies death,
decay , and decline - whether it's a dead body, a tooth with a cavity, or western civilization. Do you really want to eat a chocolate brownie that's in decline? "Thank you for your order, sir. This decadent brownie was really good about a month ago, but now it's gone bad and a bunch of meal-worms are hatching throughout its gooey insides."

Think of a dead animal on some freeway putrefying in the sun. Now that's decadent.

I know, I know. People use the word to imply the moral decadence that such luxurious hedonism as eating rich chocolate denotes. I get it. But, that's not really all that morally decadent. If you want to use the word metaphorically, try it on something applicable.

3. Chutney

It might be really tasty, but I think almost anything with the "-ut-" combination in it has negative implications. Butt. Slut. Gut. Hut. Mutt. There are some exceptions: I think "butter" sounds okay, and nuts can go either way (let's keep this PG-rated), but "chutney" falls in the ugly word category for me.

4. Drizzle

Drizzle is actually not a bad word. Unfortunately, I've only run across it in two contexts: to describe rain and to describe how some kind of sauce is applied to some dish. As a word for rain, I find it completely legitimate. It really means "spray" or a fine mist. When it's drizzling outside, the rain isn't falling very hard.

Too bad this isn't the way it's used in food preparation. Strawberry sauce "drizzled" on cheesecake usually means it's poured on in a zig-zaggy way. Tell me, chef-people. Have you ever seen it rain in zig-zags? The
patterned pour, coupled with this word's rhyming with "whiz" makes me want to stay away. Anybody want some "whizzled" lemon sauce on their pound cake? (In a related note, Cheez Whiz is grody on so many levels.)

5. Savoury.

Okay, so this word isn't really gross. It's just that food-describers have misappropriated this word. There are multiple meanings, the most common being something that is very appetizing, agreeable, etc. Too bad this word has come to mean "things that are not sweet that we can serve at cocktail parties." So, by this definition, a chocolate chip cookie isn't "savoury," but by the most common understandings, chocolate chip cookies are (usually) amazingly savoury (appetizing).

This is a personal grudge for me because I am, as many of you know, a master cr
êpe maker. In English, crêpes are often divided into "sweet" and "savoury" categories. All of my crêpes are savoury, suckers.

It's probably gastronomically important to make this distinction, but, for pete's sake, can't someone come up with a different word? Like "salty"?

Anyone have any more grody or misused food words?

6 comments:

Utah Man said...

The Kroger by my house calls their Dr. Pepper knock off... "Dr. Drizzle" coincindentally Snoop Dogg calls Dr. Dre "Dr. Drizzle"

I'm not into conspiracies (if you don't count my various websites devoted to the Kennedy assasination, the fake moon landing and the bcs) but I think there may be something here.

uhh what was I saying?

Jana said...

I think the ugliest food word ever is the word for fish in french - poisson. get Dave or someone frenchie to say it outloud. Yikes.

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

Funny you mentioned "meal." I have never liked that word.

And just like Utah Man, drizzle reminds me of Snoopy...drizzle my nizzle.

Another grody word in my book: phoque (hey Jana, get a frenchie to say that one!).

Jenny Moore said...

I've never liked the word "loaf." Probably for the same reason Dirk doesn't like "meal." It's akward to say and it makes your mouth do weird things.
Also, "brownie." Is that the best word we can come up with for a bar of chocolate cake-like yumminess? It is brown, I guess, but then what if we called other foods just by their colors--like Yellowies for bananas or Whities for rice? It's not like brownies are the only brown food. So, why do they get to be brownies and whole wheat bread doesn't?
Don't even get me started on "patties" or "jiblets" (Is that even how you spell it?)

Allison said...

Grocery... I hate that word. Yes siree, it's gross...siree.

I am excited to employ the word 'GRODY'. I vow to use it at least once a day from now until forever!

Rangi said...

As a whole the Smart family doesn't find any food words gross. That's why most of us "have a little bit of a weight problem." But I still got a good laugh at your blog.

About Me

My photo
ἐνὶ τοῖς γὰρ ἀείδομεν οἳ λιγὺν ἦχον τέττιγος, θόρυβον δ’ οὐκ ἐφίλησαν ὄνων "I sing to those who prefer the clear cicada sound, who do not like the braying of asses." Callimachus, Aeitia fr. 1 (Pfeiffer)