It made me think of this book that's coming out this year,
Girls Gone Skank by Patrice Oppliger, a prof. at Boston University.
It's a funny title for the book, and I felt a little scandalous visiting the website (don't worry - it's a book blurb that is quite the opposite of what porn-surfers would prefer to find), but I do think this is a pressing problem in the contemporary US. Somehow, it became cool to look and dress like a skank, and that's trickling down to younger and younger ages. Prof. Oppliger's book includes examinations of "fashion, plastic surgery, and beauty pageants" - all phenomena that strongly stress appearance. Now, I think her book deals with younger and younger females engaging in this type of behavior, but in many ways it's a reflection of society as a whole. There's a time and a place for fashion and plastic surgery (not so sure about beauty pageants), but I fear we often stress appearances to an unhealthy extreme.
I wish women didn't have to draw their confidence and identity from how they look. It's a complicated issue - people like to look nice. Plus, I'm a shallow guy too (my wife is smokin' hot), but I think there's probably a more constructive middle ground between nun and whore-slut.
Especially for girls, who should be worried about playing hopscotch or soccer instead of looking sexy.
2 comments:
You brought up a very serious issue! And who knew whore-slut could be hyphenated?
I'm sure you notice it more--having a daughter. I really have noticed with the Young Women and even moms thatI'm friends with. Have you ever heard of the book, "Uglies"? The author got the idea for it from an article he read about plastic surgery and everyone trying to look a certain way. It takes away people's individualism because we all have the same idea of beauty that soon people will all be looking the same. Anyway. It's not just wal-mart. Take a trip to the mall. I am totally surprised at the clothes hanging on manequins. It's too bad that girls feel like they have to be sexy to be admired. And Jana is smokin-hot!
Post a Comment